It is a parent’s priority to protect their children’s safety, but it may be much more difficult to accomplish after your child has achieved independence. Teenagers who drive in the family vehicle might be tough to keep track of. GPS tracking can be quite useful in this situation.
GPS trackers can help parents bridge the gap between concerned and autonomous teenagers. Modern families are reaping the rewards. However, striking a balance between independence and tracking is critical. GPS monitoring devices can help to keep parents informed about their teens’ movements, driving habits, and curfew observance, empowering them with knowledge.
The GPS monitoring platform can be configured to offer parents information about their teenager’s position and movements, as well as dangerous driving habits such as speeding. This information provides parents with teaching opportunities, assurance regarding the maintenance of family cars, and, most importantly, awareness of their children’s safety when they are out and about.
Read on to learn more about GPS tracking and teenagers how to balance safety and independence.
Important Statistics of Teenage Drivers
There are valid reasons for parents of teen drivers to be concerned. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s statistics on young drivers are concerning:
- Teenage drivers are especially vulnerable while driving at night. Drivers aged 16 to 19 are three times more likely than drivers aged 30 to 59 to be involved in fatal nighttime accidents.
- Teenage drivers lack the experience to detect and respond effectively to potentially hazardous circumstances.
- Teenage drivers are more prone than other age groups to drive when tired, distracted, or intoxicated.
- When they are in the passenger seat, more than 40% of teens do not wear seatbelts.
- Teenagers are more likely to violate the speed limit than older drivers. They also leave less space between themselves and the automobiles in front of them.
Why Use GPS Tracking For Teens?
Listed below are 5 main reasons why parents use GPS tracking for teens:
- Tracks driving issues or behavior such as speeding crashes with vehicles, and leaving designated zones
- The freedom to walk out without strict supervision
- Encourages safer routes from home to other destinations
- Track movement and provide alerts when predefined boundaries are crossed.
- The presence of SOS buttons that kids can use to alert authorities if they are in danger.
Establishing Communication with Your Teens for GPS tracking
As a parent, you want to ensure that your teen kids are safe and secure, especially while they are out of your sight. GPS tracking technology has made it simpler for parents to monitor their teenagers’ locations and protect them. However, great technology brings great responsibility too. GPS tracking should be used carefully and respectfully when dealing with teens.
Here are a few tips on how to properly track your teens with GPS tracking:
- The teen’s consent is necessary- Before you start tracking your teen kids, you should have an open and honest talk with them. Explain why you want to track them and obtain their permission. This shows them that you trust them to make good decisions while respecting their privacy.
- Ensure not to be a helicopter parent- It is critical to give your teen kids space and independence. Don’t obsess about their location or become unduly interested in their activities. Allow them to develop and learn on their own.
- Setting clear boundaries is necessary – Inform your teenage kids about what you will and will not be tracking. You could, for example, track their location when they’re out with their friends but not at home or school. Setting firm limits demonstrates to your children that you trust them and value their privacy.
- Make it a pleasant experience- GPS tracking may be an interesting and enjoyable method for children to explore the environment. Encourage them to utilize it to explore new areas, meet new people, and experiment with new activities.
Balancing Safety and Independence with GPS Tracking
Safety with GPS tracking-
- It keeps an eye on teenagers’ shoulders
Teens are more likely to be involved in an accident. Tracking your teen’s location allows you to see how quickly he or she is traveling. When your teen realizes you can monitor their driving behavior and speed, they will drive more cautiously. Teens acquire appropriate driving habits while being aware of frequent mistakes.
Knowing they will be held accountable keeps them in a position of compliance by fiat. There is proof of compliance provided as a result of data gathered from these platforms. This constant monitoring of these systems assists the teens in remaining safe on the road while driving within legal limits.
- It can track real-time activities and driving history
These systems include a variety of models that provide history connected to reporting or real-time movement tracking. It provides the necessary information for validating your teen’s speed, ignition status, location, and direction of travel. The real-time tracking feature allows you to discover your teen’s car’s whereabouts.
When your teen takes an unusual path home, it indicates that he or she has left the specified geo-fence. Through alert notifications, you can simply watch where and when they leave it. This history allows you to keep track of your teen’s every step while also assuring their safety on the road.
- It provides you with alerts in case your teen is in trouble
When your teenager is in distress, he or she can press the SOS button on their GPS monitoring device. It works by you pressing a button, which sends you an alert. This alert tells you of your teen’s whereabouts, and you may contact him or her immediately. This immediate alert allows you to be the first to know if your kid is in trouble.
As a parent, you may now communicate with your adolescent while onboard using this one-way calling GPS gadget. As a result, you have the opportunity to be the first to save the teen. You can check these gps tracking devices for kids listed by Family1st.
Independence with GPS tracking
- It helps build trust
It is vital to maintain confidence. A kid who believes their parent doubts their capacity to care for themselves and make sensible decisions may begin to act out, desperate to prove that they can live in the world – only to make blunders. A parent’s obsessive urge to care for and nurture their adolescent might have the opposite effect, driving them away rather than keeping them near.
GPS monitoring solutions are available in a variety of formats today, ranging from downloaded apps to wearable technology. Teenagers are far more likely to respond positively to tracking if they are made aware of the benefits it may provide.
- It makes Teens feel less of a burden
Using GPS monitoring might help a teenager feel less of a burden on their parents: for example, if a teenager is invited to a party, there is no need for her to call her parents when she arrives or departs. They know Mum or Dad will be informed, and they will all be secure and pleased to share that information.
Parents must engage with their children, regardless of age, to demonstrate how GPS tracking benefits everyone. This technology, when adopted and used freely and appropriately, can assist not only develop the link of trust for years to come, allowing both parties to learn from one other via mutual respect but also provide safety for the teens.