The word advocacy can be intimidating. Here at American SPCC we want to provide parents and families the opportunity to learn how to advocate for their children, but also for children and families around the nation. Advocacy for children is so important because they don’t often have the language to be able to speak out on their own behalf, it’s up to us as adults to ensure that their needs are met and that they are being well cared for.

There are lots of ways to be a child-advocate, on any scale, and they all have tremendous worth and value. How can you make a difference in the lives of children?

Lead the charge with American SPCC to encourage the United States to sign the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

The Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) is a human rights treaty for the protection of children and families created by the U.N. over 30 years ago.The CRC establishes a legal framework and positive rights for all those under age 18. National and state legislatures, courts, and administrative bodies can use this template to promote domestic laws, policies, and practices that protect children and promote healthy families.

You can read it here: Convention on the Rights of the Child

Why does the U.S. need to sign the CRC?

Once the U.S. ratifies the CRC, it can partner officially with UNICEF to protect children and families globally, as well as convincingly assert that it is doing its utmost to support children and families at home. The U.S. is the only country in the U.N. that has not ratified the CRC. If we were to sign it, it would cause a chain reaction of federal and state investigations to ensure that children in this country are protected from abuse, neglect and exploitation in accordance with the rights laid out for them in the convention.

What can I do to help?

You can let the president and your representatives know how important it is for us to sign the CRC and join the global community in providing rights and the best care possible for children.

First, you can sign this petition

and then you can write our politicians.