TITLE: Communications Manager
Classification: 100% Remote.
Long-term contract position. Monthly retainer.
Commitment: Min 5 hours a week/Max 10 hours a week.
Compensation: $35 – $50 per hour depending on experience.
Work Environment: Applicants from all states are welcome to apply.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the flow of information between the organization and the public. The Communications Manager will collaborate with the Executive Director to devise marketing strategies, direct digital and public relations campaigns, be accountable for public perception of the company, as well as help build and create online program content.
About American Society for the Positive Care of Children
American Society for the Positive Care of Children (American SPCC) was formed in 2011 as a first-of-its-kind 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated solely to the prevention of child maltreatment and raising awareness of the lifelong impacts of adverse childhood experiences. By providing parents with the skills, tools, and educational resources that build their confidence and capacity as caregivers while strengthening family bonds, we work to create a brighter future for all.
The Communications Manager is a creative and integral part of American Society for the Positive Care of Children (American SPCC), and is responsible for developing and leading multi-platform communications content to help build the organization, promote online programs and increase American SPCC’s visibility and impact.
We are looking for someone who shares our values and dedication to empower families, and create a brighter future for all.
The ideal candidate excels in one or more of the following areas:
- digital communications skills
- writing and content creation skills
- basic graphic design skills
- social media platform knowledge
- public relations
- nonprofit marketing
This position reports directly to and works closely with the Executive Director.
- Serve as the primary internal brand steward, maintaining and enhancing the brand voice, messaging and communications strategy across multiple media platforms
- Create and/or coordinate creation of on-brand written and visual content across digital platforms (e.g. email communications, newsletter, website content, social media strategy and execution, graphics, videos)
- Monitor and make recommendations based on performance analytics across digital platforms. Create reports and/or briefs on social following, growth, and opportunities
- Analyze opportunities to improve user experience and SEO traffic
- Promptly respond to inquiries submitted through social media
- Support or assist in media relations opportunities, coordinating responses to developing stories, pitching stories, and fielding media inquiries
- Assist with drafting and editing press releases, talking points, and other media materials as needed
- Monitoring the presence of American SPCC online
Client & Partnership Relations
- Support and conduct communication strategies, logistics and interviews for specified partnership projects
- Collaborate with subject experts on content creation for program buildout
- Edit and write copy as needed
- Interest in American SPCC’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Public/Media Relations or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated experience creating and publishing content, driving engagement
- Experience working across different social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, Twitter, YouTube; and TikTok is a plus)
- Ability to self-manage tasks and timelines
- Remarkably strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills – able to write in more than one voice and for more than one medium
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including curiosity and active participation
- A self-starter who thrives on growth and opportunities
- Initiative and the ability and willingness to collaborate and cooperate with colleagues when needed; comfortable working independently and remotely
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks on a deadline
- Graphic design skills or willingness to learn
- Strategic and efficient
- Previous nonprofit experience is a plus
- 100% remote
- Long-term contract position
- Workdays/Hours: Monday-Friday, 5 – 10 hours per week to start.
- Opportunity to take the lead in developing marketing, media and communications operations at a high-growth national organization
How to Apply?
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, qualifications, or expectations. American SPCC is an equal opportunity employer. The organization will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment of any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected group status defined by law.