Home Forums Positive Parenting Discussion Help with the Terrible Twos

To post to the discussion forums, please create an account or log in.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MommaBear 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jessica2910
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips on how I can connect better with my two year old toddler? We are going through the ¨terrible twos¨ making it very difficult to communicate with him. Sometimes I feel frustrated and bad that I am not connecting with him well. Instead of saying ¨no don’t touch that¨ or ¨no, don’t do that¨, what could I say to him instead?

Boo Radley
    Participant

Two things are certain. 1. almost all kids do what you’re describing. 2. Almost all parents get frustrated by it.

Your son is learning. It’s a good thing. Adults are learning too, but you know a lot more than he does. Your challenge is to think of ways to satisfy his curiosity and quest for knowledge in a ways that are constructive and safe. Also, remember that a 2 year old has no concept of adult concepts such as ‘cost’ or ‘expensive’ or ‘antique’. As much as we don’t want to hear it, when a 2 year old breaks something, it’s the adults that are responsible. Take it as a learning/teaching experience.

Sometimes it helps to make dangerous things less ‘interesting’ to a two year old. Closing lower cupboard doors (or even empty for a year if you have the room elsewhere), is a simple example.

Hope this helps….hang in there and know this phase is only temporary. Don’t let frustration harm your relationship. When you do get frustrated, step back and take a moment to think. You’re much much smarter than a two year old. If you can relax for a minute, you can usually think through it.

MommaBear
    Participant

Ahhhhh! The terrible twos! What a fun but challenging age. I agree with what Boo wrote above that keeping the child safe is the most important thing. I have an alternative idea, though. What if you gave the kid his own cabinet? For example, when my kids were little, I kept some plastic bowls and lids in one lower cabinet they could reach. If they dug through it, no harm was done. They felt like explorers, and I knew that there was nothing in there they could break. I did have to pick up a bunch of bowls, but at least it kept their attention directed somewhere that was safe. Just a thought….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.