TEEN MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS
DID YOU KNOW?
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), for youth between the ages of 10 and 24, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
- More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.
- It results in approximately 4600 lives lost each year.
- Each day in our nation there are an average of over 5,400 suicide attempts by young people grades 7-12.
- Four out of five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.
- Kids who are bullied are more than twice as likely to consider suicide, according to a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- (Information courtesy of kids.gov, nimh.nih.gov, samhsa.gov, cdc.gov, AMA.)